'The Power of Awareness' - Review & Sounds True Discount Code
'The Power of Awareness' is an online mindfulness course designed to improve your well-being through increased awareness and compassion. This training, led by Tara Brach and Jack Kornfield, was updated in 2023 to include Konda Mason and Devin Berry. The course offers a guided path to break free from negative thoughts and attain inner peace.
Subject: Mindfulness & Meditation Authors: Tara Brach, Jack Kornfield, Konda Mason and Devin Berry Format: Online Course, Self-Paced Duration: 21 hours (recommended over 12 weeks) Platform: Sounds True
Tip to Get the Best Deal: You can save 50% off 'The Power of Awareness' at Sounds True with this discount code:
The Power of Awareness - Review
Here's an overview of what you'll learn in each lesson of the course:Welcome to the Power of Awareness
- Introduction of the teachers: Jack Kornfield, Tara Brach, Konda Mason, Devin Berry and Jonathan Foust
- Overview of how the course works and the resources included (Resources included: The main video lessons, additional audio guided meditations, Q&A sessions and written notes)
- Instructions for the "Community Mentoring" sessions that are included with the course as optional support.
- Bios of the community mentors.
- FAQs to help you get started with the course and to develop your meditation practice in general.
- The first module of "The Power of Awareness" introduces the basics of mindfulness, a practice of paying attention to the present moment without judgement, with an attitude of interest, friendliness and clarity.
- It provides guidance on developing a mindfulness practice, regardless of your current level or experience with meditation.
- You learn to enhance your ability to be present and enrich your everyday life experience by deepening your capacity for mindful presence.
- Note: You are given guidance and resources throughout the course on how to develop your mindfulness practice.
- Module 2 of "The Power of Awareness" focuses on teaching you how to apply mindfulness and curiosity to the body's sensations, allowing you to disconnect from distractions and feel more integrated and present.
- It explores the importance of understanding and recognizing bodily sensations for increased awareness and a sense of wholeness, especially considering how modern culture can encourage disconnection.
- The module offers strategies to manage and embrace bodily sensations with patience, compassion, friendliness and curiosity, which can help combat stress, discomfort or unhealthy habits.
- Your Mindfulness Practice: There's an introduction to mindful movement practices that can be integrated into daily life, helping you to pay more attention to your body and relax. You're encouraged to set a consistent time for daily meditation of at least ten minutes, using comfortable seating and posture, focusing on breath and bodily sensations with non-judgmental attention.
- Module 3 of "The Power of Awareness" focuses on understanding emotions and feeling states, the major influencers of our actions and reactions. It teaches you to identify and connect with emotions that come up during meditation, ultimately leading to freedom and clarity.
- Through the practice of mindfulness, you will learn to handle a wide range of emotions, reducing reactivity and bringing deeper awareness to your emotional state in daily life.
- The module continues to build upon the practice of mindfulness, focusing on recognizing and naming emotions to improve understanding and awareness.
- This module stresses the importance of consistency in practice, encouraging you to resume your routine if you miss a day, with the understanding that some days may call for shorter or deeper practice, based on your needs.
- Your Mindfulness Practice: You're encouraged to follow a Central Practice of Mindfulness using the guided meditations provided, meditating for either 20 or 30 minutes each day, becoming aware of arising thoughts, naming them and returning to mindful presence.
- Module 4 of "The Power of Awareness" discusses the realm of thoughts, helping you to understand their influence and how they can either drive you to thrive or trap you, depending on your awareness and management of them.
- The lessons focus on teaching you to apply mindful presence to thoughts and narratives, enabling you to liberate yourself from their limitations.
- It emphasizes the ability to 'wake up' from your thoughts by using the same observation and interest that you apply to breath, body and emotions during meditation.
- Your Mindfulness Practice: You're advised to continue using the central practice of mindfulness, focusing on any strong thoughts that arise with gentle attention and without judgement and to maintain a journal for reflection and discussion with the community.
- Module 5 of "The Power of Awareness" introduces the RAIN practice, a tool for self-compassion and cultivating calm during disruptive moments. RAIN stands for Recognize, Allow, Investigate and Nurture.
- The first lesson teaches how to use RAIN in challenging situations, thus enhancing mindfulness and compassion during difficult times.
- The second lesson focuses on the "Nurture" component of RAIN, linking self-nurturing with the practice of self-compassion.
- Your Mindfulness Practice: In addition to regular meditation, you're encouraged to try two short exercises: Light RAIN and Self-Forgiveness Scan. Light RAIN is an abbreviated form of the full practice that helps recognize emotional reactivity, while Self-Forgiveness Scan aids in identifying self-blame and promotes self-compassion.
- Module 6 of "The Power of Awareness" provides tools and practices for managing fear, trauma and loss using awareness and compassion.
- In the lesson "Finding Our Resources," you learn how to establish a sense of safety and strength in the face of traumatic experiences and overwhelming feelings, strengthening your inner resources.
- The "Fear and Freedom" lesson explores managing fear and how memories can trigger emotional states, helping you understand and confront your fears as part of your human experience.
- Your Mindfulness Practice: You are given guidance regarding how to handle any strong emotions that may arise during your meditation.
- Note: The course emphasizes that these practices are complementary to therapy or mental health services and not meant to replace them.
- Module 7 of "The Power of Awareness" introduces the transformative practices of self-forgiveness and lovingkindness to release stuck emotions, thoughts and habits.
- In the lesson "The Art of Lovingkindness" you learn how to cultivate self-forgiveness and lovingkindness, using verbal cues and visualizations of love for oneself and others.
- The lesson "Training in Forgiveness" guides you through a forgiveness practice aimed at liberating you from the past and promoting healing and equanimity.
- You are encouraged to apply lovingkindness and forgiveness in everyday situations as you go about your life.
- Your Mindfulness Practice: As part of your home practice, you are encouraged to continue your daily meditation, incorporating a ten-minute lovingkindness practice at the end of each session.
- Module eight of "The Power of Awareness" emphasizes the profound change we undergo when we show forgiveness and compassion to people in our lives, building on prior self-forgiveness lessons from Module Seven.
- The lesson "Forgiving Others" explores the challenge of being open-hearted without compromising your personal boundaries.
- The module examines the liberation experienced when we mend our relationship issues and close gaps between ourselves and others.
- The lesson "Holding Others in Our Hearts" encourages you to extend empathy, love and generosity beyond your immediate circle, reinforcing a sense of shared humanity and interconnectedness.
- Your Mindfulness Practice: You learn a "On-the-Spot Tonglen" exercise, a quick practice that involves acknowledging the difficulties of others and offering them love and awareness in real-world situations. This Tonglen practice also provides an opportunity for self-compassion, encouraging you to acknowledge your own resistance to pain and offering yourself relief.
- Module 9 of "The Power of Awareness" focuses on integrating mindfulness and openhearted presence into daily living, exploring how to navigate difficult moments and engage with life meaningfully.
- The lesson "Arriving in Our Lives" helps you identify ways to apply the mindfulness skills you've been cultivating to the real world and your daily routines.
- "The Negativity Bias" addresses the common tendency to focus on negative experiences, offering techniques to consciously savour the present moment and cultivate a sense of gratitude.
- Your Mindfulness Practice: Daily mindfulness practice is encouraged, incorporating exercises such as pausing throughout the day to focus on conscious breaths and sensory awareness. Other exercises include ending the day by identifying three things to be grateful for and revisiting the Light RAIN practice from Module 5 to bring fresh attention to your awareness throughout the day.
- Module 10 of "The Power of Awareness" guides you in exploring your true identity and innate goodness through mindfulness and compassion practices.
- "The One Who Knows" lesson invites you to delve into the question "Who are you?", encouraging self-inquiry and a deeper understanding of your true self.
- "Trusting Our Basic Goodness" teaches you how to cultivate and express your core benevolence, even amid life's challenges, promoting a sense of belonging and trust.
- Your Mindfulness Practice: The practice of listening with a "mind like sky" in different settings is introduced, helping you to explore how embracing spaciousness can positively influence your experiences.
- Module 11 of "The Power of Awareness" emphasizes a shift from personal mindfulness to bringing compassion and care to the world around you.
- "Bodhisattva Path" lesson introduces the concept of Bodhisattva, an awakened being dedicated to caring for all beings, encouraging you to alleviate, rather than ignore, suffering.
- "The World's Suffering and Healing" lesson teaches how to apply mindfulness skills to become a healing presence in the world, highlighting our interconnection with others and the environment.
- Your Mindfulness Practice: You're advised to continue your daily mindfulness practice, allowing a sense of "choiceless" awareness and equanimity to inform your practice. By doing this, your practice will widen its circle of care, extending it to people, the community, other species and the Earth itself.
- Module 12 of "The Power of Awareness" teaches how mindful compassion practices can bridge divides between individuals, reducing collective suffering and healing biases.
- In the "Bridging Divides that Imprison Our Hearts" lesson you examine your biases, helping you heal or release them and restore a sense of collective belonging.
- In the "Love in Action" lesson, you learn how grounding in mindfulness and compassion practices leads to active engagement, inner transformation and collective change.
- At this point you can continue your 30-minute daily mindfulness practice, following what feels right for you. You are encouraged to reflect on what you've learned throughout the course and how to more fully embody mindfulness and lovingkindness in your daily life.
- The Half-Day Retreat offers a deeper, three-hour block of mindful practice, distinct from your regular routine, enhancing your overall course experience.
- Preparation for the retreat includes organising a comfortable practice space with your meditation cushion or chair and a journal and pen for reflection.
- The retreat is divided into three video segments of about 45 minutes each, plus scheduled breaks and walking meditation sessions, totalling just over three hours.
Here's a summary of what you'll learn with the course "The Power of Awareness" at Sounds True:
- Develop your mindfulness meditation practice with teachings and guided meditations throughout the course.
- Bring mindfulness to your emotions.
- How to work with the challenges in your life such as trauma and loss, reducing reactivity and bringing lovingkindness.
- How to show compassion to yourself and to others.
- Increase your sense of empathy and cultural awareness.
- Share what you've learned as you go about your life for better outcomes both in your close circle and beyond.
This course is a great fit for people already practicing some form of mindfulness, such as meditators, life coaches, health instructors and social leaders.
Having said that, "The Power of Awareness" has plenty to offer anyone keen to be more present and understanding in their daily life.
Required Knowledge to make the most of this course:
No previous knowledge is required to take the course "The Power of Awareness".
Required Software / Equipment:
All courses on Sounds True include the following benefits:
- Lifetime Access: Once you purchase a course on Sounds True, you have access to the course content for life.
- Self-Paced Learning: You can learn at your own pace, allowing you to make the most of your time.
- All Format Learning: Computer, Mobile, TV, Tablet. Including offline mode.
The Sounds True platform also has many helpful features, including:
- Respected Teachers: All instructors on Sounds True are carefully selected as thought leaders in their field including Jack Kornfield, Tara Brach, Konda Mason and Devin Berry.
- Specialized Platform: Sounds True is specialized in teaching personal development topics including Mindfulness, Meditation, Health, Well-being and related subjects.
- Special Offers: Sounds True sometimes offers deals on its courses via their discount coupon system. (Tip: We keep you informed of the best deals for Sounds True courses on this site).
- User Reviews: You can see user reviews on the sales page for each course on Sounds True, enabling you to see which courses are likely to be the best fit for you.
- Refund Guarantee: Sounds True offers a 365 day money-back guarantee. So you can try the course "The Power of Awareness" risk-free.
Tara has been practicing meditation since 1975 and has been teaching via Sounds True for many years. Tara has published a number of well received books including "Radical Compassion", "Trusting the Gold" and "Radical Acceptance". Tara also teaches in various popular courses at Sounds True including "The Power of Awareness" and "Mindfulness Daily", alongside Jack Kornfield.
Click here to find out more about Tara and see all the books and online courses by Tara Brach at Sounds True.
Jack began his spiritual path by training as a monk in Thailand and India and has been teaching mindfulness and meditation since 1974. Jack has written many well received books including "The Wise Heart", "After the Ecstasy, the Laundry" and "No Time Like the Present". Jack also teaches in various popular courses at Sounds True including "The Power of Awareness" and "Mindfulness Daily", alongside Tara Brach.
Click here to find out more about Jack and see all the books and online courses by Jack Kornfield at Sounds True.
Konda Mason has been included in "The Power of Awareness", updated in 2023.
Konda began her journey in 1982 when she was introduced to Tibetan Buddhism. Konda developed her affinity to vipassana from 1996 while working with Jack Kornfield at the Vallecitos Mountain Retreat Center. Konda has also been teaching at Spirit Rock Meditation Center since 1997.
Konda has exercised her passion for establishing wide ranging equality in her role as Mentor Leadership Team of The Mindfulness Meditation Teacher Certification Program: Amongst other achievements, Konda co-created the Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility program.
Click here to find out more about Konda Mason at Sounds True.
Devin Berry has been included in "The Power of Awareness", updated in 2023.
Devin began practicing mindfulness meditation in 1999, studying in a number of programs including MBSR (Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction), Spirit Rock's Practitioners Program, the Commit to Dharma Program at East Bay Meditation Center and Insight Meditation Society's four-year Residential Teachers Program.
Devin's passions include advocating for cultural awareness and youth development programs.
Click here to find out more about Devin Berry at Sounds True.
Review Summary - The Power of Awareness
This is a great course for anyone who wishing to develop their mindfulness and improve how they handle the challenges inherent in life.
The authors Tara Brach, Jack Kornfield, Konda Mason and Devin Berry have many decades of experience teaching mindfulness and meditation. They bring this to bear both in the teachings and the many student questions that they answer throughout the course.
The Power of Awareness is a comprehensive course and is clearly a labour of love from the authors: There are many thoughtful additional resources included such as the guided meditations and additional question and answer sessions.
They take you on a wonderful journey of discovery, bringing in wisdom from many additional teachers: Some quotes are funny, some insightful and many of them make you see things in a new and positive light.
All in all a very well-considered and highly recommended course!
Tip: "The Power of Awareness" is currently on sale. You can get the deal at Sounds True by clicking the button below:
Best of luck!